I designed a second cover for one of my books. There were things about the first cover that I liked and some things that I didn’t. I’ll be the first to admit that I could stand to up my cover game.
Here’s the original cover.
The book hasn’t really been selling all that well (am I supposed to admit that?), so I thought I would slap a new coat of paint on it and see if that did anything.
I wanted it to have a more adventurous cover, one that gave a taste of the danger in the book. The first cover really doesn’t do all that. The first cover really doesn’t say much of anything other than the fact that a bottle and plants are involved somehow. Not much of a draw when you get down to it.
Here’s the wolf cover.
As you can see, I kept the leafy bits and the fonts. I really do like the fonts. I also slimmed up the shape a tad. The other cover seemed too wide.
The cover redesign was actually pretty easy because the scene with the wolves was already in the book trailer. Here it is on YouTube in case you didn’t see it before.
I just snagged what I needed and mixed it in with the elements I wanted to keep on the original cover.
The new cover probably isn’t showing up on Amazon yet, but it should here within the next 24 hours or so.
Which cover do you like better?
But not writing newness. I redesigned the cover for Love and the Dark. Wanna see it? Of course you do! Otherwise, you probably would’ve moved on to the next cat video by now instead of continuing to read this nonsense.
So, here’s what the first cover looked like in case you didn’t see it.
Honestly, it’s not that great of a cover. It’s okay. I’ve definitely seen worse. I’ve seen much, much better. I’ve never been overly fond of it. I think that I reached the end of the book project, and I was ready to be done with it.
Despite my lack of love for this cover, I did attempt to use it for the print edition and then promptly changed my mind. As a front cover, it’s functional, but I couldn’t figure out how to handle the back cover in a way that looked halfway professional. It was bad.
So I proceeded with 4 redesigns. None of those worked. Into the recycle bin they went. Okay, not really. I kept all of them. I’m a digital hoarder. What can I say?
I settled on this one mostly for mood and color.
It isn’t live everywhere yet, but it will be soon. The print edition should be out in the next 2 -3 weeks if all goes as planned.
That’s it for now. Peace.
Here we go! This is the cover art for Lair of the White Wyrm. My starting point for the skull was the dorsal view of an alligator skull. I’m fancypants like that. Skull shading took a while. I did it by hand on my Bamboo.
I reserve the right to make minor adjustments in the future.
If you’ve been hanging out on my blog for a while, you might have noticed that I didn’t use the original illustration I put up on the blog. I changed course, and I think this looks better and fits the book better. I put together a whole evolution of the cover art thing that will go up with other Extras on the media page for the book.
I wrote some words. I know I said I wouldn’t write anything until I got at least one book out, but my notes were just sitting there looking at me all pitiful-like with puppy eyes. It’s not a start of the next book though, not really, so all will be fine. I won’t start and stop in the middle again. I promise I learned my lesson.
The piece I worked on is going to be a fiction freebie and companion to the next book I plan to write. The title right now is Llewyn’s Faith. It’s sort of a prologue to the story but not actually part of the book. Llewyn is the protagonist in prologue and an antagonist in the book. That’s right, chew on that bit for a minute. Flavorful, yes?
The big project this week is the wyrm cover. I decided not to use the graphic I created initially or the second graphic, both of which I do actually like. I just decided to go with a more minimalist approach. It’s going to be awesome. I won’t give up all the details yet because surprises are fun, but I will say there is a skull involved.
I hope to finish by this weekend but the going is slow. I’ll explain why once the thing is finished.
Still waiting to get the Wyrm book back from the editor. patiently. waiting.
Grouchy Moo does not wish to be bothered.
I have various items for this fine Thursday. First up, MacDowell Sisters and AnnaBeth has received its official makeover. The title is now Destined for Darkness. The trilogy is called Fate Binds, which is pretty appropriate for the story. Here is the new cover.
This has all been changed on amazon and smashwords. changes to other outlets are pending. they’ll probably take a few weeks to update. Please note that Destined for Darkness is exactly the same book as MacDowell Sisters and AnnaBeth with minor changes to formatting.
Here is the cover for book 2, Devil in the Branch.
That should be out maybe next summer-ish, possibly spring but probably not.
Ok, next up is website talk. I’m working on a web page for the Fate Binds Trilogy. It will contain the series trailer, info about the books, buy links and bonus materials like author commentary pieces I’ve written and maybe the illustrations I did for MacDowell Sisters and AnnaBeth hardcover edition, which is no longer available.
I plan to launch that page when I have some more links to the book, or at least the one for Barnes and Noble. I’ll announce it here when everything is up and running.
Thats it for now. I’m going to go attempt to finish the book series trailer.